Saturday, December 4, 2010

Recipe for Bacon Explosion Deer Backstrap

Here's a recipe I got from a good friend of mine in College, Patrick Black.  We both went to the University of TN at Martin...Go Skyhawks!!  I would always ask him what was in his marinade and he always told me none of your business, but he had it posted on his refrigerator so when I would stop by, I would write it down a few ingredients at a time.  I guess if you think about it, it could be construde as stealing, but my mom always told me to share and she would have told him the same thing.  Bet you can't get my mom to give up her yeast roll recipe though.  But I digress...Not really a big fan of deer meat myself but I have to admit, this marinade really did the trick.  You should start by soaking your meat in salt water over night to draw what blood you can from it.  That will help remove the gamey taste some.  Next mix these ingredients together in a bowl.  This is a mans recipe so there's no mixing in separate bowls and what not.  Just throw it all in a big bowl and beat it into submission. 

3-4 sticks of butter
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper ( however much you like )
3-5 Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
3-5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke

Myself, I throw in a handful of Brown Sugar as well

Once that is all mixed pour it over your meat and set in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours turning every 4-6 hours.
When this is done the butter will have set up and turned kind of hard.  It doesn't look too pleasant but it tastes great.  You'll see a picture in a minute.

Now for the bacon,  lay out 8 pieces of bacon side by side with each piece touching the next.  Peel every other piece back until there is about the width of one of your pieces of bacon left at the end.  You should have 4 laying flat and 4 peeled back. Now lay a piece across the 4 left laying flat at the bends of the 4 you peeled back.  fold the 4 pieces back down and peel the opposite 4 back.  You repeat this process until you have something that looks like this.

 
Now for me, my back strap is pretty long ( from a pretty big deer ), so I have to repeat this process again to make 2 of these.  Here it is in action...


And here it is finished...


Just for fun, here's the picture with the meat in the marinade...


All that's left to do is lay out your deer meat and roll it up...


Set your Big Green Egg up for indirect cooking at 225 degrees and cook it for 5 hours or so.  They say 1 hour for every inch thick the meat is. I have a pan of apple juice underneath to help keep it moist. 


Hope you guys enjoy this recipe.  This would go great with a good ESB or American Porter.

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Your Mom would indeed like you to share all your recipes, and if anyone wants my yeast roll recipe (which was handed down from my mother-in-law) all they have to do is ask.
    I'm really impressed with your deer backstrap recipe and pictures. If the brewpub doesn't work out, you might try a restaurant. You'd make a great chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love the yeast roll recipe! Crownof3jewels@aim.com

      Delete